When you purchase a product, you typically assume it will function as intended: that you will use the product safely, without it causing injury, as long as you stay within the manufacturer’s guidelines for its use.
Unfortunately, it does not always work that way.
Sometimes, defective products cause serious injuries that can leave you struggling with long-term impacts on your health, your physical abilities, and even your ability to continue to work.
Did you suffer serious injuries in a defective product accident? The Champion Firm can help. Contact us today at (404) 596-8044 to schedule your free consultation today.
Is The Champion Firm Right for You?
When you have serious injuries due to a defective product, you want to know that you have chosen an effective, experienced attorney who will help you file your claim and recover the compensation you deserve. At The Champion Firm, we have extensive experience in a variety of personal injury cases. Our past results speak for themselves. While past results cannot guarantee future compensation for our clients, we bring that substantial experience to every person we represent.
Defective Products Cause Serious Injuries
When a defective product has more serious issues than just not working, you may find yourself dealing with considerable repercussions, including:
- Traumatic brain damage. If you strike your head at any point during your use of the product, it may cause a traumatic brain injury, including both short-term disorientation or loss of consciousness and long-term struggles with comprehension, sensory changes, and mood regulation.
- Amputations. In the blink of an eye, a defective product can sever or crush a limb beyond repair. Losing a limb can prevent you from enjoying many of the activities that once shaped your life or leave you struggling to take care of things on your own.
- Spinal cord damage. Spinal cord damage may cause temporary or long-term paralysis, depending on the severity of the injury. It can also restrict movement or lead to a lifetime of pain and struggle. Spinal cord injuries often prevent their victims from returning to their previous professions.
- Organ damage. Sometimes, malfunctioning products can cause organ damage. Organ damage may limit your entire life for a long time after the accident, leading to pain, weakness, or increased medical problems.
- Burns. Many products catch on fire when they work improperly, leaving their victims struggling with significant burns. Not only do burns cause extreme pain and infection, they also often lead to disfigurement and scarring. Burns can limit mobility and even, in extreme cases, lead to amputation of burned areas or death.
How Should You Seek Compensation After a Defective Product Injury?
After a defective product accident, you may need to seek compensation. Contacting a lawyer is often the first step in the process, since a lawyer can help walk with you through the claims process and ensure that the insurance company makes you a fair offer. Many people assume that hiring a lawyer will become the most expensive part of the claim process. In many cases, however, a lawyer can help increase your compensation or prevent you from making mistakes that could reduce the amount you recover. Once you have a lawyer on your side, consider these steps:
In the case of a defective product, many people and entities may share partial responsibility for your injuries. The manufacturer, distributor, and even the store that sold the product can all, in some cases, share that responsibility. Working with a lawyer will help you more effectively determine where responsibility lies in your specific case.
Asking for Compensation
Once you know whom to seek compensation from, you need to know what compensation you deserve for your injuries. The compensation you obtain will vary based on your injuries, the insurance policy, and, in some cases, the number of people injured by the defective product (for example, a class action lawsuit). However, many victims of defective product injuries choose to ask for similar types of compensation.
- Compensation for medical expenses related to injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
Dealing With the Insurance Company
Sometimes, insurance companies may provide unfair offers that fail to reflect the compensation you deserve for your injuries. At this point, your lawyer can step in, helping you acquire the full compensation you are entitled to. Insurance companies may:
- Issue a low settlement offer
- Try to shift liability to you
- Try to prove your injuries occurred at another time
- Try to prove that your injuries caused fewer problems than you claim
In some cases, the insurance company may continue to fight the claim until you must go to court to recover a reasonable settlement. In others, the presence of a lawyer will convince the company of your seriousness, increasing the odds that it will issue a fair compensation offer early in the process. By working with a lawyer, you can gather the right evidence against the product manufacturer, better understand the compensation you deserve, and avoid mistakes that could cost you the full compensation you can obtain.
Do You Need a Product Liability Attorney?
If you need a product liability attorney in Atlanta, The Champion Firm is here to help.Contact us online or call today at (404) 596-8044 to schedule your free consultation.