Slip and Fall Personal injury lawyer in Atlanta, GA
You probably assumed that walking across a normal, level floor would not represent a significant hazard. Unfortunately, you may never have quite that perspective again. After a slip and fall accident, you may find yourself left with significant injuries that change the way you move through life—or the way you can’t. Did you suffer serious injuries in a slip and fall accident? You do not have to face them alone. Contact The Champion Firm today at (404) 596-8044.
The Champion Firm: Your After a Slip and Fall Accident Lawyers
At The Champion Firm, we have a wide range of experience in premises liability cases. Check out some of our past results:
- $525,000 awarded to a client who slipped and fractured a femur and wrist in a grocery store fall
- $350,000 awarded to a client who fractured a kneecap in a slip and fall accident on slick pavement
- $90,000 awarded to a client who fell from a building
Each case offers unique elements, including the condition of the area where the slip and fall occurred and the factors that contributed to the industry. Our past case results cannot guarantee the compensation you will receive from your injuries. At The Champion Firm, however, our past cases represent the effort we will bring to your case. We want to help you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries, and we will fight hard to make it happen.
Slip and Fall Accidents: The Most Common Injuries
Falls are the leading cause of death in workplace injuries, accounting for almost 40 percent of job site fatalities, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
After a slip and fall, you may suffer serious injury. In many cases, those injuries lead to lifelong consequences, pain, and suffering.
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord damage
- Organ damage
- Severe cuts and lacerations leading to scarring or the need for surgery
How Do I Know Who Caused My Slip and Fall Accident?
Any time you visit a public area—a store, a hotel, a parking lot—the owner of that property bears a duty of care to ensure that visitors to that location can safely move through the area. This includes:
- Providing signs that indicate any wet, slick, or dangerous areas.
- Providing an area free of common hazards that could cause slip and fall accidents, including uneven flooring.
- Checking the area regularly and providing maintenance when needed.
- Offering clear, uncluttered aisles and pathways that make it safe to navigate the store.
- Providing handrails where needed.
If you slip and fall in a location where these precautions were not considered, the store’s owner or management has violated their duty of care to you. As a result, they may bear liability for your injuries, and you can legally seek compensation. In some cases, however, you may share responsibility for your injuries. If, for example, you chose to horse around in the store or to ignore safety precautions, you may share liability for your accident. Talking with a lawyer can help you more effectively determine who bears responsibility for your accident and what you can expect from legal proceedings.
What Compensation Can You Seek for a Slip and Fall Accident?
After a slip and fall accident, you may wonder what compensation you can seek for your injuries. How far does the premises liability extend? While the funds you can receive will vary, most people seek:
- Compensation for medical bills associated with the accident. Medical bills include the cost of immediate emergency care as well as any long-term care needs, like physical therapy or ongoing hospitalization, associated with the accident.
- Payment for wages lost as a result of time the victim could not work after the accident. If you missed time at work for physical therapy, because of hospitalization, or due to the inability to work because of your injuries, you may receive compensation for that missed time.
- Compensation for pain and suffering. In addition to payment for actual financial damages, you may receive financial compensation for the pain and suffering you experienced due to your slip and fall. This can include missed opportunities and missed time with loved ones as well as physical pain and suffering.
- Payment for lost earning potential. In some cases, injuries from your slip and fall accident may permanently prevent you from returning to your previous employment. A traumatic brain injury, for example, could permanently prevent you from handling your former responsibilities, while paralysis could prevent you from returning to a physical job. In this case, you may seek payment for the lost potential to earn that money.
Who Will Pay My Medical Bills After a Slip and Fall Accident
How Insurance Companies Fight Payment for Slip and Fall Accidents
Most facilities carry premises liability insurance designed to protect them if someone suffers an injury in their store. After a slip and fall accident, you will likely deal with the insurance company to receive compensation for your injuries. Unfortunately, many insurance companies employ common tactics to reduce the company’s financial burden—and therefore the funds you will receive. These include:
- Offering a low settlement shortly after your accident. The company may pressure you to sign the offer quickly in order to decrease their burden.
- Trying to prove your injuries occurred at another time, rather than during the accident.
- Trying to shift liability to you by proving you entered an area you should not have entered or engaged in horseplay in the facility.
- Attempting to prove that your injuries cause you less trouble than you claim.
Working with an attorney is the best way to fight an insurance adjuster determined to shortchange you after your accident.
Hiring a Slip and Fall Personal injury lawyer in Atlanta, GA: Well Worth the Cost
A slip and fall accident attorney sounds expensive. At The Champion Firm, we start by offering a free consultation that allows us to decide if our clients have a solid claim. We work on a contingency fee basis for personal injury cases, meaning we only get paid if we recover compensation for you.
Contact Us Today
Did you suffer serious injuries in a slip and fall accident? We can help you pursue the compensation you deserve. Contact a Slip and Fall Personal injury lawyer in Atlanta, GA at The Champion Firm today at (404) 596-8044.