The stress of being in a car accident can continue to build on itself when you realize all of the necessary actions you must take in order to care for injuries and get car repairs. From reporting an insurance claim to making sure you are offered the right settlement to apply to your damages—it’s exhausting. If you work with State Farm in your car accident case, you will be dealing with a very large insurance company that provides more home and auto coverage than any other insurance provider in the country. To file an auto claim with State Farm, you have several options to choose from. You can call their 800-STATE-FARM number, use the Pocket Agent App, or contact your agent directly. If State Farm is your insurance company, you can also log into your current account with State Farm and begin the process of submitting the claim. Once you’ve submitted the claim, a State Farm representative will contact you to go over your claim. They will explain the specific type of coverage available for your accident, as well as process the claim. You will then be able to track your claim through your online account, if you have one.
Determining Liability & The Investigation After The Accident
One of the most important steps in any car accident claim is determining liability—that is, who is at fault for the accident. Georgia uses the modified comparative fault rule when determining fault in automobile accidents. For example, if you are speeding down the road and someone negligently pulls out in front of you, State Farm may determine that it’s 90 percent the other driver’s fault, but that you are 10 percent at fault for speeding. The way that this factors into insurance claims is important to understand. Based on the percentage of fault, if any, the insurance company will deduct that ten percent from your determined settlement. However, you may not be able to recover damages if you are 50% or more at fault.
When State Farm has finished their investigation into your accident, they will assess the damages to the car and any other property damage, as well as any personal injury damages. In this step, there are two kinds of damages that are taken into account. There are general damages and special damages.General damages are specified as noneconomic damages like pain and suffering which are difficult to calculate the monetary value. Special damages are economic losses like property damage, wage loss, and medical expenses. There types of damages are often easier to accurately estimate.
The Importance Of Properly Communicating Your Assessment Of Damages
Unlike many other insurance companies, State Farm employs their own method of assessing monetary value to these damages. While this is a positive because that means your settlement is being calculated by a real person who is learning about your personal experience and not a machine, it becomes even more important that you are cautious when giving a statement to State Farm. Because the extent of your injuries cannot be realized immediately following the auto accident, you should be careful not to minimize the severity of your injuries, as this can affect the resulting settlement you are offered.
Too often, the settlement offered is nowhere near the appropriate amount for covering medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. In the event that this happens to you, you have a right to contact an attorney to help you towards receiving proper compensation. Of course, it is always best to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible after an accident, even before you get to the settlement process.
We don’t want you to have a negative view of State Farm, whether it is your insurance company or the other driver’s, but we want you to be aware of the instances that can take place in the claims process that—more often than not—will not tip in your favor. If you or a loved one has suffered a personal injury from a car accident, you have the right to contact an attorney who can go over your case and determine the proper settlement value. You need to focus on your own recovery and let us take care of the rest. The Champion Firm, P.C., can help you. Give us a call today and let’s get started on getting you the right settlement for your personal injury case.