Disclaimer: The Champion Firm P.C is Located in Atlanta, Georgia and can only help with personal injury claims in Georgia.

Do you have a lawyer who won’t respond to you? Are you wondering what you should do if your lawyer won’t return your calls? Unfortunately, a common complaint that people have about their lawyers is that they just won’t respond to them. This can be incredibly frustrating because the client doesn’t know what is going on their case, and they are unable to relay important information to the lawyer. If you have an unresponsive lawyer, here are some simple steps to follow:

  1. Try speaking with someone else in the office. If the lawyer doesn’t return voicemails or respond to messages, try speaking with somebody else at the firm. You could try speaking with their paralegal or even another lawyer that works there. If you do speak with someone else, let them know what is going on and why you need to speak with the lawyer. Also, ask them why the lawyer has not been responding to you.
  2. Track everything. Keep track of each time you have called and the name of every person you have spoken with.
  3. Send an e-mail. If phone calls don’t work, try emailing the lawyer. This may lead to a response. Even if the lawyer doesn’t respond, you have an electronic record showing that the lawyer has been ignoring you.
  4. Send a certified letter. Send a letter to the lawyer via certified mail with a return receipt requested. In the letter, explain all of your efforts to contact the lawyer and explain that you will be terminating the lawyer if they do not respond.
  5. Contact the State Bar. The Georgia Bar’s consumer assistance program can help. According to the State Bar’s website, they will generally first ask that you send a certified letter to the lawyer.  If this doesn’t work, then the State Bar may contact the lawyer on your behalf.
  6. Fire the lawyer. If the lawyer isn’t being responsive, he or she is either intentionally ignoring you or is too busy to work on your case. Whatever the reason, you should not want somebody handling your case who isn’t giving it the attention it deserves. Send the lawyer a certified letter terminating the representation and asking for a complete copy of your file. The lawyer is required to give you a copy of your file.  If you don’t get a copy of it in a timely manner, contact the State Bar.

Read more about legal malpractice and professional negligence.

If you find yourself in need of a professional negligence attorney, do not hesitate to contact the team at The Champion Firm, P.C., today to get on the right track.