Owners and occupiers of land have a responsibility to maintain their premises in a safe condition. If you are involved in a slip and fall, it is important that you take some immediate steps to make sure that you protect your rights and preserve any potential claims. Here are the top 5 things you should do after a slip and fall:
- Get help. Notify someone who works at the establishment. Many times people who slip and fall may feel embarrassed about what happened, and, hoping that nobody saw them, they will attempt to act like nothing happened. This can be problematic if it turns out you are injured from the incident and need medical care. Without any record of your incident, the business and/or its insurance company will dispute whether it happened. Even if you can prove it happened, it will be difficult to establish liability if the incident was not reported and evidence was not gathered.
- Take pictures. Document what happened by taking photographs of what caused you to fall. This evidence will prove vital later on when you attempt to show that the owner or occupier of the property was negligent.
- Get witness information. Frequently, people involved in any type of accident, whether it is a car accident or a slip and fall, will mention that there were one or more witnesses at the scene; however, the injured person won’t have those witnesses’ name or contact information. Without the witness information, it can be very difficult to track them down, which will make it all the more difficult to prove your case.
- Be careful what you say. Although you need to notify someone about the accident, it is important that you are careful about what you say and not allow anyone to lure you into saying something incriminating. It is common for a business or its insurance company to interview an injured person after a slip and fall. While they will try to make it sound like they are just trying to gather facts, they will cleverly try to lead you into saying something that they can use later on to say you were to blame. For example, they may try to get you say you weren’t looking where you going, or that you could have avoided it if you had been looking. If you get lured into saying something incriminating, your injury claim could be ruined. Before you give a statement to anyone, consult with a personal injury attorney.
- Get medical treatment for your injuries. As with any injury causing accident, you need to get treatment if you are injured. If you don’t get treatment, not only will your health be adversely affected, but it will be difficult to prove your injuries.
If you are injured in a slip and fall, it is important that you talk to a qualified personal injury attorney as soon as possible. If you or someone you know wants a free, no obligation consultation, we can be reached at 404-596-8044.