A national company like Target has the same responsibility as any other property owner to ensure its premises are safe for all customers. Despite this, Target employees may neglect their duties, and as a result, customers suffer severe slip and fall accidents.
If you or a loved one was injured at a Target store in Marietta, GA, you should contact a Target slip and fall lawyer right away. The Champion Firm is available at (404) 596-8044 to answer your questions.
Why Choose The Champion Firm
It’s important to work with a knowledgeable attorney after a slip and fall accident in Marietta, GA. The Champion Firm knows you are facing a difficult road ahead, and we are here to help.
The Champion Firm difference:
- $90,000,000+ in personal injury settlements and verdicts
- We will help you get a fair settlement or take your case to trial
- We will answer your questions and keep you informed
What Leads to Target Slip and Fall Accidents?
Target is a large store that sells groceries, home goods, clothing, electronics, toys, and more. The waxed tile floors and heavily-stocked shelves pose a risk to consumers. Some common causes of slips, trips, and falls at Target stores include:
- Unstable products on shelves
- Carts left in the aisles
- Unloaded products in the middle of aisles
- Spilled liquids on floors
- Failure to use “wet floor” signs, especially after mopping
- Wet floors in high traffic areas, often due to wet weather
- Rugs that are not lying flat on the floor
- Uneven floors or walking areas
- Electrical cords, ladders, or tools in walkways
Common Injuries in Target Slip and Falls
An unexpected slip and fall at Target can lead to serious injuries. According to the National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI), the most common slip and fall injuries are broken bones and fractures
Other common slip and fall injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Shoulder injuries
- Neck and head injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Hip fractures
- Cuts and abrasions
- Sprained wrists and ankles
- Back and spinal cord injuries
- Knee injuries
The most serious slip and fall accidents can even be fatal. According to the NFSI, fall-related injuries are a leading cause of death for those 65 and older.
Laws That Apply to Target Slip & Falls
Under Georgia’s premises liability law, property owners like Target must ensure that common areas are reasonably safe for customers and other guests. Additionally, store employees must routinely inspect the premises for hazards and quickly address any dangerous conditions.
Your Status as a Target Customer
Target must exercise “ordinary care” to keep all of its property safe for guests, including the inside the store, outside of the building, and in the parking lot. Examples of ordinary care are:
- Quickly discovering and responding to spills
- Safely stocking items on shelves
- Ensuring there is plenty of room in the aisles for customers
- Routine mopping and cleaning practices
- Keeping the entrance clean and clear during wet weather
Negligence for a Target Slip and Fall
To show that Target is negligent for your slip and fall, you must prove the following:
- Target owed you a legal duty
- The store breached that duty
- Target’s breach led to your accident
- The accident caused your damages
It can be difficult to prove that Target breached its legal duty to its customers. You may need to collect evidence like footage from security cameras, photos, and eyewitness statements to support your claims.
You’ll also need to prove that the store employee’s actions or inaction led to your accident. For example, if a store employee mopped the floor but failed to put up a Wet Floor sign or block off the area, then Target may be responsible.
Finally, you must demonstrate that the slip and fall accident caused your damages, which can be done by showing medical records, medical bills, or lost wages.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall at Target in Marietta
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident at Target, it’s important to take immediate action. You should:
- If you need emergency medical treatment, call 9-1-1 and request an ambulance
- Take pictures and video of the accident and your injuries
- Get names and contact information for any eyewitnesses
- Keep all medical records and bills
- Maintain records of wages lost and time missed from work
- Document how the injury has impacted your life and the lives of your family members
Target Locations in Marietta, GA
If you slip and fall at any Target location in or around Marietta, Georgia, please contact The Champion Firm for a free consultation.
Target Will Try to Protect Themselves
Target will do everything possible to reduce or eliminate its liability. Store representative will use anything you say against you, and they may even try to blame you for the accident.
Target’s injury policy will likely require that you complete an accident report. You should only provide the necessary information, such as your contact information. Tell the store manager that you will have your injury lawyer contact them with a full statement.
Target may offer you a quick settlement to make the whole thing go away. However, you should never take an initial settlement offer. It’s likely a lowball offer and won’t cover all your damages.
Why Consult a Marietta Slip and Fall Lawyer
It’s important to work with an attorney after a slip and fall at Target. As a large corporation with powerful attorneys and deep pockets, Target will fight your claim until the end. Your Marietta attorney can stand by your side and handle the following:
- Developing a statement and communicating it with Target and its insurance company
- Evaluating the actual value of your slip and fall case
- Negotiating a fair settlement with Target
- Drafting legal documents and filing a personal injury lawsuit
- Taking Target to court if they refuse a reasonable settlement
How to Recover Compensation from Target
With personal injury claims, you are entitled to recover damages such as:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of earning potential
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of household services
- Funeral expenses if a loved one dies due to their injuries
Sample Target Cases
Countless slip and fall accidents occur at Target stores every year. The following are not case results of The Champion Firm; however, they are real-life cases that show the frequency of these accidents:
- In 2013, a woman slipped and fell on a recently mopped floor in Target. Although there were warning cones present, the Target employee was careless and left a wet soapy area outside of the coned area. The woman who fell tore her hamstring and required significant medical care. She was awarded $2.1 million in the claim.
- A woman slipped and fell on a wet floor near the exit of a Target. The floor had a puddle of cleaning solution; store employees hadn’t marked the area with any warning signs. The woman who fell injured her lower back. After two surgeries, she was still left with pain. She recovered $400,000 from Target.
Suing Target vs. Negotiating a Settlement
Most personal injury cases end in a settlement. Stores like Target don’t want to take these cases to court. However, it may be necessary to file a lawsuit to show Target that you mean business.
Once you file a lawsuit, your Target slip and fall lawyer can begin the discovery process. This involves gathering evidence from the other party and interviewing witnesses. This can help support your claims and prove damages. If Target is still reluctant to make a fair settlement, The Champion Firm will take them to trial.
Proving Target’s Negligence is Key
In a slip and fall case, it’s essential to prove that Target and its employees were negligent. Your attorney will utilize all available evidence to meet the elements of negligence. You must show that Target did not take reasonable actions and that it breached its duty to you as a guest. It’s important to work with a lawyer who has gone up against large companies like Target, who will not be intimated by their corporate legal team.
Target Slip & Fall FAQs
What If I Fall in the Target Parking Lot?
Target is responsible for maintaining the safety of the entire property, which includes the parking lot. Target employees must routinely inspect the parking lot and address any dangerous situations as soon as possible. If they knew or should have known about a hazard that led to your accident, they can be liable.
How Long Does It Take to Settle a Case Against Target?
Slip and fall cases can take anywhere from months to a few years to settle. The company may even try to drag out the time, in hopes that you’ll give up on the lawsuit.
Contact The Champion Firm
Most Target slip and fall accidents are not the victim’s fault. You should not be financially responsible for the injuries you suffered. The company should be held accountable and pay for the physical and financial harm it caused you.
If you or a loved one was injured while shopping at Target, contact The Champion Firm at (404) 596-8044 for a case evaluation.