Motorcycle crashes can easily result in life-threatening injuries. The lack of protection afforded to motorcyclists from their vehicles means that the injuries they sustain in accidents tend to be much worse than those suffered by drivers of regular passenger vehicles.
Motorcyclists have the same rights to the road, and other drivers have a duty to keep motorcyclists safe. When other drivers operate their vehicles carelessly or recklessly and a motorcyclist is injured as a result, they can be held financially responsible for their negligence.
If you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident in Vinings, GA, reach out to the team at The Champion Firm to discuss your situation. The claim review and consultation are free and come with no further obligation on your part.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcyclists are far more vulnerable to injuries because they lack the protection that other motorists have. While being exposed to the elements is part of the appeal for many bikers, it is also why over 90% of motorcyclists come away from a collision with injuries.
Depending on the accident, the severity of the injuries may vary. Some of the most common injuries sustained by bikers in accidents include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Internal organ damage
- Neck injury
- Road rash
Due to the sheer force that motorcyclists experience on impact, many collisions cause serious injuries. While a lawyer cannot undo the harm caused by an accident, they can often pursue compensation to help cover medical bills and other expenses related to the collision.
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, don’t gamble on your future. Entrust your case to a skilled Vinings personal injury lawyer.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Vinings, GA
Motorcyclists are vulnerable to the risks that all other drivers encounter. Unfortunately, many car drivers lack firsthand experience operating a motorcycle and thus tend to lack an understanding of how much space to leave between their vehicle and motorcycles. This gap in experience is often responsible for rear-end collisions which, even at lower speeds, can cause devastating injury accidents.
Another major factor in motorcycle crashes involves other drivers’ failure to make an effort to notice motorcycles. The smaller size and lower profile of motorcycles make them less visible on the road. However, other drivers still have a responsibility to look for bikers.
The following are some leading causes of motorcycle collisions:
- Low Visibility – Drivers may not be able to spot motorcyclists in dark or foggy weather conditions, leading to a collision.
- Driver Inattention – When drivers divert their attention from the road, even if only for a second, they can cause serious accidents. Drivers should do everything in their power to eliminate distractions and keep their attention on the task of driving.
- Left or Right Turn Accidents – When cars turn without the right-of-way, they put motorcyclists in danger. Motorcyclists who attempt to avoid a collision may collide with the vehicle or wipe out and slide off road or into traffic.
- Head-On Collisions – Drivers who drift into oncoming traffic may cause fatal injuries to motorcyclists they hit. Especially on two-lane highways, drivers should be extra aware of cyclists and their own lane.
- Failure to Observe Traffic Laws – Disregarding the rules of the road can disrupt the general flow of traffic and cause serious accidents.
- Drunk or Drugged Driving – Drunk drivers have trouble controlling their vehicles, making good decisions, and staying alert. These issues increase the risk of an accident.
- Damaged brakes and lighting – When other vehicles don’t take care of repairs in a timely manner, it could endanger all other drivers on the road. Proper turn signal and brake lights are crucial features to help other drivers, including motorcyclists, anticipate their movements.
If you’ve been involved in an accident caused by a negligent or careless driver in Vinings, or truck driver, make sure that you seek the help of a lawyer. A lawyer will listen, discuss your situation, and analyze your best legal options moving forward.
Who Could Be at Fault for a Vinings Motorcycle Crash?
Determining fault is an essential part of bringing a personal injury claim. There are four main components of fault:
- Duty of care – The other party had a responsibility to keep you safe. Every driver on the road has a responsibility to keep every other driver safe.
- Breach of duty of care – The other party violated their duty in some way. Evidence such as a police accident report and pictures from the scene can prove this element.
- Causation – The breach of the duty of care directly caused your injuries. Medical records may be essential for this element.
- Damages – Your injuries caused you significant damages. Bills from your medical treatment, motorcycle repair, and more can prove this element.
Your Vinings accident lawyer will be able to gather the necessary evidence to determine who was at fault for your accident. Some parties who may have been liable include:
- Other drivers
- The at-fault driver’s employer if on-the-job
- Motorcycle manufacturers, if your bike malfunctioned
- Government entities, if there was an issue with the road
- Mechanics, if your bike was improperly repaired
It is possible that multiple parties may have contributed to your accident. In fact, you may even be found partially responsible for your accident.
Georgia is a modified comparative negligence state. As long as you were less than 50% responsible for your accident, you may be able to recover damages. Your damages will then be reduced by the percentage you are found to be at fault.
How Can The Motorcycle Accident Attorneys at The Champion Firm Help Me?
If you have been injured in a motorcycle collision in the Vinings area, you are likely facing serious injuries, medical expenses, lost wages, and a lengthy recovery period. While your injuries may prevent you from returning to your normal activities for a while, a lawyer can help you hold those responsible for your injuries accountable for the harm that they have done to your physical, emotional and financial wellbeing.
The aggressive trial attorneys of The Champion Firm, P.C. are here to help you seek the compensation that you need to put this devastating motorcycle crash behind you. We will fight to secure the money you need to pay your bills, repair or replace damaged property, and take care of yourself and your family.