With its small-town atmosphere, tourist attractions, and easy access to major thoroughfares, a lot of things make Austell a great place. Unfortunately, it is also a place where accidents happen. When accidents happen due to someone else’s negligence and you suffer a catastrophic injury, you need an experienced personal injury lawyer.
What Is a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
A personal injury lawsuit is a case filed in civil court in which the claimant (plaintiff) seeks compensation from an at-fault party (defendant) for injuries that negligence caused. The majority of these cases resolve before they reach the courtroom through a settlement with the at-fault party’s insurance company. However, if negotiations with the insurance company fail to yield fair compensation, or if the defendant is uninsured, then the case may go before a judge or jury to determine the award of any compensation.
Successful personal injury lawsuits hinge on the ability of the plaintiff to prove negligence. Negligence is established by showing:
- The defendant owed the plaintiff a duty of care—for example, in a car accident case, the duty of care to drive safely and obey all traffic laws.
- There was a breach in the duty of care.
- This breach in the duty of care caused the accident, which led to the damages suffered by the plaintiff.
Some particulars of Georgia’s personal injury laws follow:
- The statute of limitations for a personal injury lawsuit in Georgia is two years. You must file your lawsuit within two years of the date of your accident or the court will likely not hear your case. Plaintiffs must file personal injury claims against a city or county within six months of the date of the accident.
- Georgia enacted strict liability for dog bites, which means that the owner of a dog is liable for injuries that the dog causes when it bites someone, even if the dog had no previous history of aggression.
Types of Personal Injuries
Accidents caused by negligence can happen in many ways. We have represented clients who were injured by:
- Car accidents: Car accidents are the most common cause of serious injuries. We have helped clients who were injured in head-on collisions, T-bone accidents, rear-end crashes, hit-and-run accidents, parking lot accidents, and accidents involving ride-shares.
- Truck accidents: Commercial trucks often weigh 20 to 30 times more than passenger cars. Accidents involving commercial trucks and passenger cars often produce catastrophic injuries.
- Bus accidents: Bus operators are not only responsible for the safety of their passengers, but also others on the road. Bus operators must follow specific rules.
- Uber/ Lyft accidents: As the popularity of these app-based rideshares has grown in recent years, so have the accidents involving rideshare drivers.
- Motorcycle accidents: Motorcycles lack the protective features of passenger cars, including frames, windshields, seatbelts, and airbags. This often results in severe injuries to motorcyclists when they’re in accidents.
- Bicycle accidents: If you suffered injuries due to a bicycle accident, you may not know the options available to you when it comes to seeking compensation. Let us help.
- Pedestrian accidents: Nothing protects pedestrians from the force of a car. Pedestrians injured in accidents often suffer severe injuries like traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord damage, organ damage, amputations, and severe lacerations.
- Medical malpractice: People turn to healthcare professionals to feel better. However, sometimes the doctors and nurses cause more damage. If you’re injured by a medical error, you may qualify for compensation through a medical malpractice case.
- Premises liability: Both commercial and private property owners have a responsibility to keep visitors and guests safe, and this responsibility extends to entities managing public properties as well. Were you injured due to a hazardous condition on someone’s property? Give us a call.
- Slip and fall accidents: Slip and fall accidents are the most common type of premises liability and can result in severe injuries, particularly with elderly people.
- Product liability: The manufacturers and distributors of products can face liability if they produce defective or dangerous products.
- Wrongful death: If you have lost a loved one due to someone else’s negligence, you may be able to collect compensation.
A Firm in Austell With Excellent Results
When selecting a firm in Austell to work with you on your personal injury case, choose one that gets results. The following examples are some of the awards we have helped our clients to obtain:
- $2,060,000 for the family of a man killed in a car wreck.
- $1,375,000 for a client who suffered a spinal injury in a rear-end crash involving a tractor-trailer.
- $1,250,000 for a client who was injured in a bus crash.
- $675,000 for a client who was injured in a golf cart accident.
- $350,000 for a client who experienced a knee cap injury in a slip and fall accident.
While these are only past results and cannot guarantee future outcomes in any particular case, our successes nonetheless speak to our commitment to securing fair compensation for our clients.
Get Help Today
If you were injured in an accident, let us help you understand your legal options. Contact The Champion Firm online or by calling (404) 596-8044 to schedule your free case evaluation.