How to Get a Police Report in Atlanta After a Car Accident
An essential step following any Atlanta car accident is getting a copy of the accident report. The Georgia Uniform Motor Vehicle Accident Report contains information about the crash that can be used in the claims process. One of the most important pieces of information contained in the accident report is the insurance information for the drivers. Notifying and opening claims with the proper insurance companies is a critical step in the claims process. Georgia accident reports also contain information regarding the responding police officer’s investigation into the accident, including any witness statements and the officer’s assessment of who was at fault. This information can be helpful in proving who was at fault for causing the accident.
If you hire a Georgia personal injury attorney following your car accident, they can get a copy of the accident report for you and open claims with the appropriate insurance companies. However, some people like to get copies of the accident reports prior to consulting with an attorney, and others want to try to handle their claim on their own (which is generally not a good idea).
If you are going to try to get a copy of your accident report, there are two primary ways to obtain it.
Purchasing the Report Online at Buycrash.com
Buycrash.com is a website that has accident reports available for download from a variety of states. To find your accident report on this website, first, go to the drop-down menu on the homepage and select Georgia. Next, you’ll be taken to a page where you will enter the information needed to retrieve the report. You can get the accident report by either entering the VIN for one of the vehicles involved in the crash, or by entering (1) the last name of a party involved or report number, (2) the date of the accident, and (3) the reporting agency.
After you enter the required information for the accident, you can download the accident report if it is available. The cost for this service is generally $11. If the accident report is not available yet, you can enter your contact information and you will be emailed when the report becomes available.
Getting the Report from the Police Department
You can also get a copy of the accident report directly from the police department that responded to the accident scene and prepared the report. The responding police officer will usually give you a card with the accident report number and instructions on how to get a copy of the report. It can take several days for a report to be completed and become available. Getting an accident report from a police department can cost a small fee, but the cost is normally less than $10.
If you have been involved in a car accident in the Atlanta area, here are some instructions on how to get copies of accident reports directly from some of the city and county police departments in the metro area.
- Atlanta – The Atlanta Police Department has instructions on its website on how to get a car accident report. Visitors to either get a copy from www.buycrash.com, or by calling the Atlanta Police Department’s Central Records Unit for a copy of the report. The number for the Records Unit is 404-546-7461. It can take up to five business days for a report to become available.
- Acworth – Acworth car accident reports can be obtained from the Acworth Police Department Monday to Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM. When making the request, you will need to go to the Records Department. The Police Department is located at 4440 Acworth Industrial Drive, Acworth, Georgia 30101.
- Alpharetta – Alpharetta car accident reports can be obtained by contacting the Alpharetta Police Department’s Records Support Service at 678-297-6306. The cost for an Alpharetta accident report is $5.00.
- Dunwoody – According to the Dunwoody Police Department’s website, you can pick up a copy of the accident report from Dunwoody City Hall Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM. Dunwoody City Hall is located at 4800 Ashford Dunwoody Rd NE, Dunwoody, Georgia 30338. You can also request City of Dunwoody Police Reports online.
- Cumming – The address for the Cumming Police Department is 301 Veterans Memorial Boulevard, Cumming, Georgia 30040. Call the Cumming Police Department at 770-781-2000 to inquire about getting a copy of your Cumming car accident report.
- Douglasville – A copy of a Douglasville car accident report can be picked up from the Douglasville Police Department’s Records Division for a minimal fee. The Records Division is located in the Douglasville Public Safety and Municipal Court Complex at 2083 Fairburn Road. The phone number for the Records Division is 770-920-3010 ext 8501.
- Peachtree City – Peachtree City’s website lists a couple of options for getting a copy of a Peachtree City car accident report. One option is to show up in person at the Peachtree City Police Department at 350 Hwy 74 South, Peachtree City, Georgia 30269. You can also email a request to firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your photo ID, and the report will be sent to you via email. If you want to fax a request, you can send it to 770-631-2512 with a copy of your photo ID. Last, you can mail a request with a self-addressed stamped envelope to 350 Hwy 74 South, Peachtree City, GA 30269.
- Decatur – Decatur car accident reports can be obtained from the Decatur Police Department by completing this form and mailing it to Deputy Chief Scott Richards, 420 W. Trinity Place, Decatur, Georgia 30030. The cost for a Decatur car accident report is $5.00.
- Marietta – The Marietta Police Department makes Marietta accident reports available by in-person request or by mail. If you are mailing your request, send it to the Marietta Police Department-Records, 240 Lemon Street NE, Marietta, Georgia 30060. If picking your request up in person, you can go to the Records Division between the hours of 8 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.
- Smyrna – You get a copy of your Smyrna car accident report from the Smyrna Police Department’s Records and Identification Section, which is located at 2646 Atlanta Road, Smyrna, Georgia 30080. The Records and Identification Section is open Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM. Police reports are typically available three business days after the original filing date.
- Kennesaw – The Kennesaw Police Department’s Records Unit has accident reports available for pick up. The Records Unit is located at 2529 J O Stephenson Avenue, Kennesaw, Georgia 30144 and is open Monday to Friday from 7 AM to 5 PM. The Records Unit can be contacted by phone at 770-422-2505.
- Lawrenceville – If you are involved in a Lawrenceville car accident, the Lawrenceville Police Department will allow you to pick up a copy of your report from the Records Unit free of charge. The Records Unit is located at 300 Jackson Street, Lawrenceville, Georgia 30046 and is open Monday to Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM. If you were not involved in the accident, then the Department will charge you $5.00 for the report.
- Norcross – A Norcross accident report can be picked up from the Norcross Police Department at 65 Lawrenceville Street, Norcross, Georgia 30071, or by email sent to email@example.com. It normally takes 3-5 business days following an accident for the Norcross Police Department to have a copy of the report available for pick up.
- Cobb County – The Cobb County Police Department makes accident reports available for download on its website. You can also contact the Central Records Department at (770) 499-3900. If you need a report from the Cobb County Sheriff’s Office, call (770) 499-4728.
- Cherokee County – The Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office should be contacted at (678) 493-4200 if you have questions about your Cherokee County accident report. The Sheriff’s Office is open Monday to Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM.
- DeKalb County – If the DeKalb County Police Department investigated your accident, you can pick up a copy of the report from the Department’s Central Records Unit. Central Records is located at 1960 W. Exchange Place, 2nd Floor Room 210, Tucker, Georgia 30084. The phone number is (770) 724-7740. Central Records is open Monday-Thursday from 9 AM to 5 PM. An accident report costs $5.00 and is usually available five days after the accident.
- Douglas County – If your car accident occurred in Douglas County and the Sheriff’s Office investigated the accident, you can request a copy of your accident report from the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office. The Sheriff’s Office is located at 8470 Earl D. Lee Boulevard, Douglasville, Georgia 30134. You can call the Sheriff’s Office at (770) 942-2121.
- Fayette County – The Fayette County Sheriff’s Office allows accident reports to be obtained in person, by fax, mail, or email. Accident reports are normally available 3-5 business days following the accident, and there is no charge if the individual involved in the accident is obtaining a copy of the report. The Sheriff’s Office is located at 155 Johnson Avenue, Fayetteville, Georgia 30214, and the phone number is (770) 461-6353.
- Fulton County – Fulton County makes car accident reports available for pick up from 141 Pryor Street, Atlanta, Georgia 30303. The number for this location is 404-613-5700. The hours of operation is Monday to Friday from 8:30 AM to 5 PM.
- Forsyth County – The Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office’s Records Unit provides copies of accident reports. The Forsyth County’s Sheriff’s Office Headquarters is located at 100 East Courthouse Square, Cumming, Georgia, 30040. The phone number is (770) 781-2222.
- Gwinnett County – If you need an accident report from the Gwinnett County Police Department, you can call (770) 513-5000 to check the status of your report. Accident reports are generally available four business days after the report was made. You can obtain a copy of the accident report from the Gwinnett Police Department at 770 Hi Hope Road, Lawrenceville, Georgia 30044. Reports are available Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM. Accident reports cost $5.
- Paulding County – The Paulding County Sheriff’s Office provides four different ways to get a copy of a Paulding County car accident report. First, you can email a request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Second, you can mail the request to Paulding County Sheriff’s Office Records Division, 180 Constitution Boulevard, Dallas, GA 30132. Third, you can fax the request to (770) 505-5524. Fourth, you can request the report in person. If you have any questions about your Paulding County car accident report, call the Records Clerk in the Sheriff’s Office at (770) 443-3010.
Georgia State Patrol
If the Georgia State Patrol investigated your accident, you can request a copy of your accident report from the local State Patrol Post that responded to the accident, or from the Department of Public Safety’s Open Records Unit. Georgia State Patrol accident reports can be obtained by mailing a request to the Georgia Department of Public Safety, Attn: Open Records Unit, P.O. Box 1456, Atlanta, Georgia 30371. You can also fax your request to (404) 624-7529. When submitting your request, include your full name, mailing address, telephone number, names of individuals involved in the accident, the records being requested, the Georgia county or city where the accident occurred, the date of the investigation or accident, and the crash report number if you know it.
If you were involved in a car accident in the Atlanta area, getting a copy of the accident report is just one step in the process. You should always consult with an experienced car accident attorney following an accident. If you or a loved one was involved in a car accident, contact the experienced Atlanta personal injury attorneys at The Champion Firm, P.C., for a free consultation.