As the largest unincorporated community in the Atlanta metropolitan area, Mableton offers plenty for residents and visitors to see and do. Unfortunately, all of these things offer plenty of opportunities for accidents to happen, as well. If you were injured in an accident in Mableton that someone else’s negligence caused, you may qualify for compensation for your expenses. A Mableton personal injury lawyer can help you understand your legal options.
How Does Georgia Law Help Accident Victims?
When someone is injured in a Mableton accident, that person may file a claim against an applicable insurance policy held by the at-fault party or the injured party. Filing a claim often results in a settlement offer from the insurance company. However, if the insurance carrier refuses to pay or refuses to offer fair compensation through the claims process, accident victims can pursue compensation by filing personal injury lawsuits through the courts.
The following summarizes how that process works in Georgia:
- Claimants in personal injury cases must demonstrate that someone else’s negligence caused their injuries. They show negligence by proving the following: The defendant owed you the duty of care; the defendant breached this duty; the breach caused the accident, which resulted in the plaintiff’s injuries; the injuries caused economic and/or non-economic damages.
- The statute of limitations for a Georgia personal injury lawsuit is two years. You must file your lawsuit within two years of the date of your accident or you will likely lose your right to collect compensation. Personal injury claims against a city or county within the state must be filed within six months of the date of the accident. Product liability claimants may have up to 10 years to file a lawsuit.
- Georgia has strict liability in dog bite cases, which means that the dog owner is liable for injuries that a dog bite causes, even if the dog had no prior history of biting.
- Georgia law grants immunity from personal injury lawsuits to those whose negligent actions caused injuries to family members.
- Multiple defendants can face a Georgia personal injury lawsuit. Examples include accidents caused by both a negligent driver and a defective car part or an accident caused by a negligent employee during his or her employment for which the employer also had liability.
- In a wrongful death lawsuit, family members of the deceased person, including the decedent’s spouse, children, surviving parents if there is no surviving spouse or children, or a representative of the estate on behalf of family members can file a claim in Georgia.
How Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Help?
Many accident victims consider going through the claims process without the benefit of an attorney. However, this often results in low settlements or no settlement at all.
Personal injury lawyers justify their fees by offering many legal services for their clients, including:
- Providing information needed to make an informed decision on how to proceed with the insurance claim and/or legal process
- Establishing a value of a personal injury case to pursue fair compensation on their client’s behalf after taking into consideration the severity of the client’s injuries and related expenses
- Collecting witness statements, photographs, medical records, an accounting of expenses, and other evidence to make a client’s case
- Attempting to negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance company so that a client can recover proper compensation for the injuries sustained
- Keeping track of and meeting the filing deadlines and other court requirements for the case
- Deposing witnesses and experts and evaluating evidence gathered by the defendant’s attorneys
- Litigating the case in court, if necessary
- Helping to forestall debt collectors while a client’s case is in process
- Handling the details of the compensation payout and representing the client in the appeals process if the client or the defendant wishes to appeal the court’s decision
What Type of Accidents Does Personal Injury Law Cover?
Accidents happen in many ways, and The Champion Firm represents clients who face injuries from:
- Motor vehicle accidents such as car accidents, crashes involving commercial trucks, bus accidents, motorcycle accidents, bike accidents, pedestrian accidents, parking lot crashes, and collisions involving Uber or Lyft rideshares
- Medical malpractice such as birth injuries, diagnosis errors, surgical errors, and prescription mistakes
- Premises liability, including slip/trip and fall accidents, dog bites, and security hazards
- Product liability claims, including defective products, products with improper or inadequate warning labels, and dangerous drugs
In extreme cases, we have represented the surviving family members of a person who suffered a wrongful death.
Examples of the Compensation that Personal Injuries Plaintiffs Receive
Your personal injury attorney should provide you with examples of the outcomes of recent cases like yours. The Champion Firm is proud to provide this information. While past results are no guarantee of future success, some of the recent settlements and awards we have helped our clients to obtain include:
- $2,060,000 for the family of a man killed in a car wreck
- $1,375,000 for a client with a spinal injury that a truck accident caused
- $1,250,000 for injuries that our client suffered in a bus crash
- $675,000 for a client who sustained injuries in a golf cart accident
Speak With an Attorney Now
Were you injured in a Mableton accident? We want to talk to you about your case. Call us at (404) 596-8044 or contact us at The Champion Firm online to schedule your free consultation.