Atlanta Back Injury Lawyer
Help Starts with The Champion Firm.
Pay nothing until you win. Guaranteed. Get a Free Consult.404-948-4314
Over $100 Million Won.
Don't settle for less if you suffered a back injury due to negligence. From car crashes to falls, we'll answer any questions and fight for what you deserve.
Experience & Service Matter after a Serious Back Injury.
Our Atlanta Back Injury Lawyers Can Help
When faced with the challenges of a back injury caused by negligence, you need a legal professional who understands the complexities of these cases and will fight for your rights. At The Champion Firm, our Atlanta injury attorneys recognize that a back injury can dramatically disrupt your life, cause excruciating pain, limit mobility, and impose substantial expenses.
Our back injury attorneys are here to investigate and build a solid case for the compensation you need to move on with life.
If you or a loved one suffered a back injury in Atlanta, The Champion Firm, Personal Injury Attorneys, P.C., can navigate the legal system, protect you, and pursue the maximum amount possible. Call, text, or chat for a free consultation.
What Our Back Injury Lawyers Can Do
Investigate & Gather Evidence: The Champion Firm can investigate the accident scene, gather evidence, and interview witnesses to determine fault for your back injury.
Evaluate Your Damages: Our lawyers can help evaluate the damages you incurred due to a back injury, including medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Deal with the Insurance: We can communicate with insurance companies on your behalf to negotiate a fair and full back injury settlement.
Representation in Court: If a settlement cannot be reached for your injuries and losses, we will represent you and seek max compensation.
Advocacy for the Injured: Our lawyer can speak on your behalf throughout the legal process, providing guidance and support to ensure your rights are protected.
How Did You Hurt Your Back?
Types & Causes of Atlanta Back Injuries
Back injuries can stem from various causes. Understanding the underlying factors that contribute to back pain is crucial in seeking appropriate treatment and pursuing an insurance claim or lawsuit:
Back Injuries From Trauma
Accidents such as auto collisions or slip-and-falls can subject the back to unexpected forces, leading to immediate pain and damage. These high-impact incidents often give rise to injuries like whiplash, herniated discs, and spinal fractures, requiring prompt attention and specialized care.
Here are some accidents that cause back injuries due to trauma:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: The impact from collisions can cause fractures, spinal cord injuries, herniated discs, and other severe back injuries.
- Slip and Falls: Landing on the back or experiencing sudden jolts can cause fractures, spinal cord injuries, and other forms of trauma to the back.
- Workplace Accidents: Certain workplace accidents, such as falls from heights, being struck by falling objects, or accidents involving heavy machinery, can result in traumatic back injuries.
- Assaults and Acts of Violence: Physical assaults or acts of violence involving forceful back impacts can cause traumatic injuries.
- Recreational/Sports Accidents: Falls, collisions, or accidents during these activities can result in traumatic back injuries such as fractures, strains, or spinal damage.
- Construction Accidents: Construction sites pose various risks. Accidents involving falls from heights, being struck by heavy objects, or accidents with construction equipment can lead to severe back trauma.
Degenerative Back Injuries
In addition to trauma, like what you’d expect after a severe fall or car crash, some back injuries develop gradually due to repetitive strain, poor posture, or prolonged sitting. For example, occupations involving heavy lifting, repetitive motions, or prolonged standing can contribute to muscle strains, sprains, and chronic back pain.
Degenerative conditions like osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis, and degenerative disc disease can cause back pain too. These chronic conditions require ongoing management and a multifaceted approach to alleviate symptoms and maintain functionality.
Common Atlanta Back Injuries
Whether it’s the result of an Atlanta car accident or a fall at the grocery store, understanding the nature and extent of your back injury is an essential part of securing compensation for what it cost you.
Back injuries caused by negligence include:
- Whiplash: Whiplash is a common injury caused by sudden head and neck jerking movements, typically in rear-end car accidents. It can result in strain or sprain of the neck muscles, ligaments, and tendons, leading to pain, stiffness, headaches, and restricted neck mobility.
- Herniated Disc: Also known as a slipped or ruptured disc, this injury occurs when the soft inner material of a spinal disc protrudes through the tougher outer layer. It can cause severe pain, numbness, tingling, and weakness in the back and may require medical intervention or surgery in some cases.
- Spinal Fractures: Auto accidents and slip-and-falls can cause fractures in the vertebrae. Fractures can range from hairline cracks to more severe breaks, potentially leading to instability, nerve damage, and intense pain.
- Compression Fractures: These fractures typically occur in the vertebrae of the lower back and are often caused by high-impact accidents or falls. The vertebrae collapse or become compressed, resulting in pain, loss of height, and potential deformity.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Severe accidents can cause damage to the spinal cord, resulting in partial or complete loss of sensation and function below the level of the injury. Spinal cord injuries can have long-lasting effects, including paralysis, bowel or bladder control loss, and decreased respiratory function.
- Sprains and Strains: These injuries involve damage to the back muscles, ligaments, or tendons. Sprains occur when ligaments are stretched or torn, while strains refer to stretching or tearing muscles or tendons. Symptoms may include pain, swelling, and limited mobility.
- Lumbar Radiculopathy: Also known as sciatica, this condition occurs when a spinal nerve root in the lower back becomes compressed or irritated, leading to radiating pain, numbness, tingling, or weakness along the path of the nerve. It can be caused by disc herniation, spinal stenosis, or other factors and may require conservative treatment or surgery.
- Spondylolisthesis: This condition involves the slippage of one vertebra over another, typically in the lower back. It can occur due to a fracture, degenerative changes, or a congenital defect. Spondylolisthesis can result in lower back pain, stiffness, and nerve impingement.
Back Injury Treatments
Finding effective treatment options is crucial for relief and recovery when faced with a back injury. Fortunately, a variety of treatments are available to address back injuries. From conservative approaches to surgical interventions, the goal is to alleviate pain, restore function, and improve quality of life.
Back injury treatments include:
- Physical Therapy
- Chiropractic Care
- Epidural Steroid Injections
- Heat and Cold Therapy
- Lumbar Fusions
In addition to helping you physically recover from a severe back injury, medical treatment also helps if you decide to pursue an insurance claim or lawsuit against the party at fault. By promptly seeking medical treatment, you demonstrate that you took your injury seriously, followed recommended care, and took steps to mitigate the damages. This strengthens your claim by establishing the connection between the accident/incident, your back injury, and the resulting impact on your life.
We Demand the Max for Back Injuries
Compensation for Atlanta Back Injuries
You could seek compensation for a serious back injury in multiple ways. The two primary ways are victims seeking recovery through insurance claims and filing a lawsuit.
Back Injury Insurance Claims
Let’s say, for instance, you injured your back in an auto accident with a distracted driver on one of Atlanta’s busy roads. In this case, you’d likely seek damages for your losses via an insurance claim with the at-fault driver’s provider.
The first step in an insurance claim is to gather all relevant documentation, including accident reports, medical records, bills, and any evidence that supports your claim. Next, notify the insurance company of the responsible party about the accident and your intention to file a claim.
Working with a lawyer who can guide you through the process, protect your rights, and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf is crucial. Your attorney should document and demonstrate your damages, such as medical expenses and income loss, through meticulous record-keeping. They also can help you provide a clear and truthful statement describing the accident, the resulting back injury, and its impact on your life. Your attorney will then negotiate with the insurance company for a settlement that adequately compensates you for your damages.
Back Injury Lawsuits
If a settlement cannot be reached, you and your lawyer should explore filing a lawsuit for your back injury. Once you and your attorney assess the merits of your case, gather evidence, and prepare the necessary legal documents, your attorney will file a complaint in the appropriate court.
Once the lawsuit is filed, both parties engage in a discovery period to exchange relevant information and evidence. This may involve interrogatories, depositions, and document requests. Your attorney will negotiate with the defendant’s legal representation throughout the process to reach a fair settlement. If a settlement cannot be reached, the case may proceed to trial, where a judge or jury will hear the evidence and decide on liability and damages.
Back Injury Compensation
In any personal injury case, the person, business, or entity that caused harm is responsible for paying your damages. Back injuries and related losses are no different.
Damages are typically divided into two broad categories: economic and non-economic. Economic damages have a clear monetary value, such as medical bills, lost wages, and out-of-pocket expenses. Non-economic damages include pain and suffering, mental and emotional distress, permanent disfigurement, and diminished capacity to labor.
Your compensation for a back injury may include:
- Medical expenses and equipment
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Diminished quality of life
- Mental anguish
- Reputational damage
- Property damages
- Lost income via missed work
- Loss of companionship and love
- Loss of household services
The best way to evaluate your case and financial recovery is to speak with a personal injury lawyer in Atlanta. Contact us today for a free, no-obligation consult.
Atlanta Back Injury FAQs
Do you have questions after hurting your back in an accident? Here are some of the most common questions we discuss with our current and prospective clients.
To prove another’s negligence led to your back injury, you must establish that the responsible party had a duty of care to you, they breached that duty, the breach directly caused your injury, and you suffered damages.
Evidence such as accident reports, medical records, and witness statements can support your claim. Consulting with an attorney is recommended for guidance tailored to your situation.
Not necessarily. The first step will be to determine the value of your back injury claim and seek a settlement from the at-fault party’s insurance company. Most injury claims are settled before they reach the courtroom. However, your attorney should feel comfortable providing legal representation in court if necessary.
You can still file a claim or lawsuit if your pre-existing back condition was worsened or aggravated by the negligence of another party. This is fairly common in rear-end auto collisions and slip-and-fall accidents. Consult with an attorney to evaluate the impact on your case.
Georgia follows a modified comparative negligence system which means that if you are deemed partially at fault for your injuries, any compensation may be reduced by your percentage of fault.
The timeline to resolve a personal injury claim involving back injuries will vary based on various factors, including the complexity of your case and negotiations. Some cases settle within months, while others may take longer, especially if litigation is necessary.
Contact Champion for Legal Advice about Back Injuries
If you or a loved one suffered a significant back injury in Metro Atlanta, we can help. Contact The Champion Firm and our Atlanta injury lawyers today at 404-596-8044 by phone, text, or chat. We don't charge upfront fees unless we win.
What Our Clients Have to Say
Dajaneshia | Car Accident
Michael | Car Accident
Natalia | Premises Liability
Robyn | Slip and Fall
Jake | Car Accident
Sue | Slip and Fall
Judith | Medical Malpractice
Champion Firm Client | Motor Vehicle Accidents
Wanda | Wrongful Death
Champion Firm Client | Motor Vehicle Accident
Walter | Motor Vehicle Accident
Michael | Slip & Fall
Brent | Motorcycle Accident
Sandra | Car Accident
Julie | Wrongful Death
Cynthia | Car Accident
Christy | Car Accident
Andy | Wrongful Death
Justin | Truck Accident