If you are hurt in a car accident while riding in an Uber or other rideshare vehicle, you could be owed significant compensation. If the Uber driver or another driver on the road behaved negligently and caused you harm, contact an experienced rideshare accident lawyer like those at The Champion Firm to discuss your rights and legal options.
Who Is Liable for Uber Accidents?
Establishing responsibility in the wake of an Uber accident can be complicated. Working with a lawyer will certainly help you understand the role that Uber may have played in causing the accident.
Some important factors to consider may include:
- What are Uber’s hiring standards for their drivers?
- Did the Uber driver’s negligence play a role in the accident?
- Was the accident the cause of serious bodily harm?
Depending on the circumstances of the accident, you may be entitled to seek compensation from Uber’s commercial insurance policy. The driver’s individual policy may also be in play in certain cases. There may be other sources of coverage as well, such as another driver’s auto insurance or the underinsured motorist coverage on your own policy.
What to Do After an Uber Accident
If you are involved in an Uber accident, you should take the following steps to protect yourself:
- Seek medical help — If you have been injured, it is incredibly important that you receive the emergency medical treatment that you need before you do anything else. Be clear and communicative about the cause of your injuries with your health care provider.
- Report the accident to the police — Call the local police and report the accident and any injuries you sustained. Often, a police officer will respond to the scene of an accident and compile a report. If this did not occur, call the police and make sure the details of your accident are accurately recorded.
- Reach out to Uber — The company is reasonably accessible in the aftermath of an accident directly through the app. You can leave them the basic information about the accident – time, place, people involved – so that they have a record of the incident.
- Get a lawyer — If you have been injured in an Uber accident, you need an experienced attorney who can take on a company as large and as resourceful as Uber. Because of the potential liability that Uber’s service poses, they are well protected by a team of attorneys and insurers. Make sure you retain a skilled lawyer to take them on. If you are contacted by Uber or an insurer who you are not familiar with regarding the accident, decline to respond and refer them to your attorney.
The lawyers at the Champion Firm are ready to fight for you if you have been injured in an Uber accident in Atlanta. We understand what you are up against when you are trying to recover the resources you need. We are here to help you move forward through this difficult time. Call us or contact us online to speak with an attorney for free about your situation today.