Semi-truck Accident Lawyer in Atlanta
How to Hire a Truck Accident Attorney in Atlanta, GA
As noted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, commercial trucks and 18-wheeler are often weighed 20-30 times more than a passenger car and are taller with a greater ground clearance that leaves the occupants of smaller vehicles susceptible to extremely serious injuries or even death. If you’ve been injured in an accident with a commercial truck, you may be eligible for compensation. An experienced truck accident attorney may be able to help. How do you find an experienced Atlanta truck accident attorney? Read on for more information.
Finding Prospective Attorneys to Take Your Case
In the past, finding an attorney who works in your area of residence and in the area of law that matches your case was a matter of asking others for a referral or looking in the phone book. However, while those are still options for finding an attorney, there are many other ways to find one these days, including on the internet.
When researching Atlanta truck accident lawyer online, you will want to look for those specializing in personal injury law, including motor vehicle accident cases. Look at the websites provided for these attorneys and take note of reviews that have been provided by clients, as well as examples of results of cases they’ve represented, particularly those involving semi-trucks accidents. Additionally, you should take note of legal industry awards that the law firm has received and the experience of the individual attorneys as listed in their biographies.
While the website research is a big first step to hiring an attorney to represent you in your case, you still need to meet with your potential attorney to ask him or her questions and to get a better feel for whether the firm is a good match for you.
Attending a Consultation
Many Personal injury lawyers in Atlanta, including those at The Champion Firm, offer a free consultation and case evaluation for prospective clients. This will be a time for you to ask the attorney questions as well as to share the details of your case with him or her. As free consultations tend to be relatively brief, it is important to go to the meeting prepared. Here are some things to keep in mind as you get ready for your consultation:
- Bring all of the documents you have relating to your case, including a copy of the police report from your accident, medical bills, medical documents relating to your prognosis, the names and contact information from any witnesses, any information you have gathered about the driver of the truck and the company he or she works for, photos of the accident scene, and photos of the damage to your vehicle.
- Be sure to bring a notepad and paper so that you can take notes as the attorney answers your questions. Remember to also bring the list of questions you have for the attorney.
- Remember that an attorney who is easy to talk to may not always be the best one for your case. The best one will be the one who has experience in handling your type of case, has provable results in truck accident cases, and is able to answer the questions you ask to your satisfaction.
- Be honest with the attorney during your consultation and answer the questions that he or she has for you to the best of your ability.
- If you decide to retain the services of the attorney you speak to, there will be documents to sign. Be sure to read all of these documents carefully. If you have questions about the information in the documents, be sure to ask all the questions and have them answered to your satisfaction before signing.
Questions to Ask
- Who is responsible for compensating me for my injuries? What damages are available to me? What is the likelihood that my case will settle? What is the value of my case?
- How much experience do you have with trucking accident cases? How many truck accident cases have you handled, and how many have you settled? Are you comfortable with the state and federal regulations that govern the trucking industry? Are you aware of the evidence you need to collect from the trucking company, such as electronic hours of service laws and maintenance records and how to obtain that information?
- How comfortable are you with working with corporate law firms that trucking companies often keep on the payrolls?
- Are you comfortable with looking for additional sources of liability, such as the trucking company, the broker or shipper, or the manufacturer of defective parts?
- How experienced is your legal team at conducting truck accident investigations? Do you have the resources to properly investigate? Do you have access to experts such as medical professionals and accident reconstructionists?
- Do you plan to pursue an accident claim with the insurance companies of all liable parties first? If those insurance companies refuse to offer a fair settlement, are you comfortable with representing me in court?
- Who will I work with most often, and how does your firm handle communication with clients? Will I be informed of all new developments in the case?
- How are clients billed for your services and what are the payment options that are available to me?
There will likely be more questions for you to ask pertaining to the facts of your case and the information that the attorney provides to you, but these are a good place to start.
What You Should Expect From Your Atlanta Truck Accident Attorney
The skills, experience, and abilities of your attorney are an extremely important aspect of your case. You should expect the following from the attorney who represents you:
- Personal attention.
- Regular communication with you about your case.
- A case evaluation that takes into consideration the unique circumstances of your accident and your needs
- Flexibility in how and where you meet with him or her to discuss your case. The understanding that you are recovering from injuries and that meetings may need to take place at the hospital or at your home.
- An unwillingness to entertain a settlement that is too low to meet your needs.
The truck accident attorneys at The Champion Firm are looking forward to meeting you. Contact us online or by calling (404) 596-8044 to schedule your free consultation and case evaluation.
If you have been struck by one of these vehicles, you need someone fighting on your side, holding the trucking company accountable for the full extent of your injuries.
We also know that you need this time to heal, so we work on your behalf to get you the maximum amount of compensation you are owed under the law—and we do not collect any payment from you unless we succeed in your case.START MY CASE REVIEW NOW
Atlanta Truck Accident Lawyer: A Commercial Truck Case versus Car Wreck Case
Truck accidents are also different from other crash cases because they may involve:
- A greater potential for deadly injury. The increased size and weight of tractor-trailers or box trucks have the potential to cause devastating injuries to the passengers of smaller vehicles. Spinal cord injuries and paralysis are common after semi-truck accidents, and many families are forced to grieve the wrongful death of a loved one.
- Liability of multiple parties. Truck drivers may be to blame for causing an accident, but they are not the only party that can be sued after a crash. The company that owns the truck, the company that loads and unloads the shipment, and the company that performs maintenance on the vehicle could be separate entities, and each one could be negligent depending on the facts of the case.
- Commercial insurance carriers. Trucking companies must be covered under commercial insurance policies. While this could mean that more funds are available to an accident victim, there also is a greater likelihood that the commercial insurers will hire lawyers to minimize their exposure.